Members Named to Seven Agricultural Trade Advisory Committees
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, (202) 720-7115
WASHINGTON, June 11, 2019 – Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue and United States Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer today announced the appointment of 140 private-sector members to the Agricultural Policy Advisory Committee for Trade and six Agricultural Technical Advisory Committees for Trade.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture has released the lists of appointees, by committee:
- Agricultural Policy Advisory Committee
- Agricultural Technical Advisory Committee for Trade in Animals and Animal Products
- Agricultural Technical Advisory Committee for Trade in Fruits and Vegetables
- Agricultural Technical Advisory Committee for Trade in Grains, Feed, Oilseeds, and Planting Seeds
- Agricultural Technical Advisory Committee for Trade in Processed Foods
- Agricultural Technical Advisory Committee for Trade in Sweeteners and Sweetener Products
- Agricultural Technical Advisory Committee for Trade in Tobacco, Cotton, and Peanuts
Congress established the advisory committee system in 1974 to ensure that U.S. agricultural trade policy objectives reflect U.S. public- and private-sector commercial and economic interests. USDA and the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative jointly manage the committees.
The Agricultural Policy Advisory Committee provides advice and information to the Secretary of Agriculture and the U.S. Trade Representative on the administration of trade policy, including enforcement of existing trade agreements and negotiating objectives for new trade agreements. The Agricultural Technical Advisory Committees offer technical advice and information about specific commodities and products.
The appointees will serve until June 15, 2023, and the committees will be supplemented by additional appointments over the next four years. Individuals are encouraged to apply for committee membership at any time and applications will be reviewed periodically. More information about the committees is available at https://www.fas.usda.gov/topics/trade-advisory-committees.
USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer, and lender.