Japan: Hardwood Report 2018

In 2017, Japan was the 6th largest market in the world for U.S. hardwood exports valued at $63 million. Japan relies heavily on foreign supply to meet its domestic demand even with abundant forest resources that cover 70 percent of its territory. In 2017, the most exported U.S. hardwood species to Japan was Walnut followed by White Oak, Ash, Red Oak and Maple. U.S. cherry wood is increasing in popularity and with consumption expected to grow in coming years. Around 70 percent of American hardwood is used in furniture with the remaining 30 percent used for flooring and other niche applications. A “café style” that combines hardwood and other materials (mainly metals and glass) is one of the main design trends currently in Japan.

Japan: Hardwood Report 2018