February 15, 2000
- China has agreed to incorporate the textile-specific safeguard provided
for in the U.S.-China Bilateral Textile Agreement. Accordingly
-- Quotas will remain in place under the WTO Agreement on Textiles and
Clothing (ATC) until the end of 2004, when the ATC expires.
-- A textile-specific safeguard will be available until the end of 2008.
Scope and Standard for Textile Safeguard
- Covers all textile and apparel products under the WTO Agreement on
Textiles and Clothing (ATC) as of January 1, 1995.
- Permits restraints on imports that are "due to market disruption,
threatening to impede the orderly development of trade in these [textile and
- Restraints on imports become effective on receipt of a request for
- Restraints may remain in place for up to a year unless we go through
procedures to reapply the safeguard.
- China has no right to retaliate against a restraint.
- The terms and procedures of the textile safeguard are enforceable through
dispute settlement in the WTO.
Thursday, October 14, 2004 PM