U.S. tropical product exports--essential oils, cocoa and cocoa products, coffee and coffee products, spices, tea (including herbal) and products, and ginseng--totaled $1.37 billion in fiscal year (FY) 1998, a decline of 8 percent from FY 1997 and the first decline since FY 1991. Of these groups, only coffee and coffee products and spices showed an increase. U.S. exports of coffee and coffee products reached a record $230.2 million in FY 1998, up 7 percent. U.S. exports of spices totaled $100.3 million in FY 1998, up 15 percent. U.S. exports of essential oils declined by over $86 million in FY 1998 to $533.0 million and accounted for a large part of the year-to-year decline.
U.S. exports of tropical and related products, plus sugar and related products, totaled $2.63 billion in FY 1998, down over 4 percent from FY 1997. Essential oils accounted for most of the decline. Note: Essential oils and ginseng export statistics are also included in the export value total for horticultural products in the "World Horticultural Trade and U.S. Export Opportunities" circular.