U.S. tropical product exports--essential oils, cocoa and cocoa products, coffee and coffee products, spices, tea (including herbal) and products, and ginseng--totaled a record $1.496 billion in fiscal year (FY) 1997, up nearly 7 percent from FY 1996. Of these groups, only ginseng and tea and products showed a decline. U.S. exports of essential oils reached a record $619.4 million in FY 1997, up 8 percent. U.S. exports of cocoa and cocoa products totaled $440.6 million in FY 1997, up 15 percent. And U.S. exports of coffee and coffee products rose nearly 8 percent in FY 1997 to $215.0 million.
U.S. exports of tropical and related products, plus sugar and related products, totaled a record $2.75 billion in FY 1997, up over 8 percent from FY 1996. Note: Essential oils and ginseng export statistics are also included in the export value total for horticultural products in the "World Horticultural Trade and U.S. Export Opportunities" circular.