Survival Tips In Attending Or Exhibiting at a Trade Show
If you are exhibiting at a trade show:
- Do your research to select the best show or mission for business development. The reason you are exhibiting at a trade show is to:
Read the promotional brochures received from the trade show organizers. Take advantage of early-bird discounts on booth space, travel and hotel accommodations. Try to book a booth in a busy aisle near a big booth that will attract a lot of traffic.
Read the exhibitor's kit carefully when you receive it. There are many confusing forms to fill out. For example: electrical, renting equipment, phones, etc.
Be creative with your booth. Most booths come with one draped table, a few chairs and trash cans.
Create a realistic budget that includes your travel expenses. For example: ground transportation, accommodations, meals, snacks, giveaways and the cost of being out of the office for a few days.
Create a press kit or a press release and make sure that it gets distributed at the press conference. Pre-show promotion!
Set up a schedule for the booth and also you will need time to walk the floor to make contacts.
Bring a clever giveaway that includes your website.
Bring your best customer service employees. You want not only knowledgeable staff but also high energy and happy people in your booth.
- increase sales and market share by obtaining sales leads and qualifying potential distributors;
- introduce your product into the market for the first time; and
- compete with other firms in your industry that are already in or attempting to get into the market.
If you are attending a show:
- Attend a few seminars no matter how tired you are when you arrive at the show site. Target industry leaders and contacts you want to meet. Spend some time each day circulating the show floor.
- When you meet up with that contact, make sure you have a quiet meeting place.
- Rather than carry around heavy brochures, collect the cards of serious prospects. Bring three times as many business cards that you think you will need.
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes and a jacket with pockets.